Monday, April 25, 2011

NaNoWriMo Results

I totally failed at NaNoWriMo.  I wrote 1,823 words.  That was it.  I didn't know where to go after I introduced my characters.  I also had dental surgery and was dealing with some other issues.  I am disappointed in myself, but I can always try again.  It was neat to think about and plan.  Maybe next year I will get way past this year's word count.  I wanted to post my four "chapters" (I use that word loosely) on here for you to read to show you what I did accomplish.  I'll post one section a day (don't worry, there are only four of them).  Keep in mind, this is a VERY rough draft--I have not reread it since I wrote it in November.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Chapter 1
“I think you should go,” Julie said, coughing.

“Are you sure?  I hate to leave you,” Meredith said, taking Julie’s hand.

Julie went to answer, but started to cough again.

Meredith couldn’t leave her like this.  The doctors said that things were not going to improve.  How could she go out of town and have fun when Julie was dying?

Julie stopped coughing, “These are your best friends and spring break is your tradition.  You can’t miss out just because I’m sick.”

“What about Nathan?”

“Nathan will be fine.  My mom will be here with us.”

“That’s what I worry about,” Meredith said chewing on her bottom lip.

Julie went to protest, but started coughing again and at the same time the phone rang.

“Hello,” Meredith answered.

“Hey Mer!  It’s Jenna.  I haven’t heard back from you yet.  Are you going to make it to the beach house next week?”

“Hi Jenna.  I don’t know.  Julie’s not doing too well, and I’m worried about leaving her alone.”

“I understand.  It just won’t be the same without you.”

Meredith heard a click on the line and then Julie’s voice, “Jenna, she will be there.”

“Julie...” Meredith started.

“Hi Julie.  How are you?” Jenna asked.

“I’ve just got a cold.  I’ll be ok.  I wouldn’t want Meredith to miss her time with you girls, so count her in.”

Meredith started to talk again, but Julie cut her off, “That’s final Meredith.”  She hung up.

Meredith talked to Jenna a few more minutes and then reluctantly pulled her suitcase out of the closet.  “Julie, I’ll only be a few hours away.  If you need anything promise me that you will call.”

Julie started coughing again, but managed to promise that she would call her if anything happened.  Meredith started tossing capris and shirts into her suitcase while she listened to Julie cough and wished things were different.

No comments:

Post a Comment