Chapter 2
Krissy steadied her weapon and aimed at the target. She fired off a few rounds, smiling at the rush she felt. This could never get old!
“Krissy!” someone shouted.
She removed her protective headphones and turned around. There stood Paul, a deputy that worked for the force. He was dressed in jeans and a button down shirt with the top three buttons undone to reveal his chest hair. He thought he was all that, but really he was just a creepy guy.
“Hi Paul. What are you doing here?”
“Just came to blow off some steam. I just ran into my ex-wife and we argued about the kids again.”
“Sorry to hear that...” Krissy looked around. The shooting range had been pretty empty when she arrived, but now it was practically a ghost town.
“What are you up to?” he asked looking at her breasts instead of her eyes.
“Just getting some shooting in before I head out of town.”
“Vacation?”
Krissy smiled, “Yes, a much needed one. My case load has been full lately and I could use some distance. Maybe I’ll be able to approach some of them differently when I get back.”
Paul seemed bored by the work talk, “I see... Where are you headed to? Need a traveling companion?” He winked.
She rolled her eyes. Paul was always hitting on her, and it was getting old.
“I travel alone,” she said flatly, “besides, I’m heading down to the coast with my best friends for spring break. We have strict rules. No boys or children allowed!”
“Honey, I’m not a boy, I’m a man,” Paul said with a wink and a crotch grab.
Krissy was about to punch him in the face when her phone rang, “Hello.”
“Hi Krissy!”
“Jenna,” she was relieved to hear her friend’s voice on the other end. She holstered her gun and headed for her car, giving Paul a half-hearted wave. “I’m so glad you called. I ran into my worse nightmare at the shooting range and almost punched him in the face.”
“Now Krissy, we can’t have any more guys pressing charges against you. It’s not good for your career.”
“The last one dropped the charges after I pointed out that he had touched me first, and rather inappropriately.”
Jenna laughed, “I’m looking forward to our trip. When are you heading down?”
“In the morning. I had some business to wrap up.”
“Ok. We’ll be the first two arriving. Meredith almost didn’t come so I want to be sure that we have the wine chilled before she gets there.”
“How is Julie doing?” Krissy asked.
“Not too well. Meredith told me that the doctors don’t expect an improvement, but Julie herself seems pretty optimistic.”
“Probably just in denial...”
“Krissy!”
“What?”
Jenna sighed, “Never mind. Just try to be more sensitive around Meredith. I’ll see you tomorrow.”
“Ok, bye.”
Krissy clicked her phone closed and started her car. She was sensitive. She just felt that Julie needed to be realistic and not let Meredith and Nathan have a false sense of hope. She backed out of her parking space and headed home. She needed to throw some tank tops into her suitcase, and she would be ready to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment