Chapter 3
Beverly stared at her computer screen and chewed on a pencil. She needed an appropriate synonym for the male anatomy. She had already used “manhood” in this chapter and was having trouble of thinking of a word that wasn’t vulgar.
Beverly had left a law practice two years ago to write romance novels. She had finished three books during this time, but has yet to get them picked up by a publisher. She wanted desperately to be successful at this because her entire family was appalled at her choice to leave her father’s firm and write. She came from a family of lawyers and was nothing more than a disappointment now.
She spun around in her chair and looked at her bed. Her suitcase was open and there were piles of clothes strewn all over the place. She had been putting off packing even though she was looking forward to the trip. Since leaving her orderly life behind, she had taken up procrastination.
The phone beside her rang, and she quickly checked the caller ID. Her mother called a few times a week to find out if she was going to return to her father’s practice. Since her father wouldn’t speak to her, Beverly knew that her mother was only trying to make peace.
It was Jenna. “Hey Jenna!”
“Hi! Whatcha doing?”
“Trying to come up with another word for penis.”
“Eww!”
“Gimme a break Jenna. You’re married, you have sex. Don’t be all grossed out by the male anatomy.”
“I have sex, but I don’t write about it for others to read.”
“Technically I’m not writing about my own sexual experiences, and unfortunately, no one is reading.”
“It’ll happen Beverly. Just be patient.”
“I’m almost out of patience and money. I only had so much in savings and don’t know how much longer I can live off of it.”
“Oh, I’m sorry. You could always go back to your dad’s and write on weekends.”
“I could, but I’m too proud for that. Anyway, are you ready for our trip?”
“I’ve been ready for months girl. I can’t wait to sit on the beach with ya’ll and soak up some sun.”
“I’m looking forward to the late night drinks and soaks in the hot tub. I need some relaxation. Have you talked to Meredith? Is she coming?”
“Yes, Julie is forcing her. She doesn’t want to leave Julie or Nathan right now.”
“Well that’s understandable, but she needs some time for herself or she’ll go crazy. The past few months have been all about hospitals and illness.”
“I know. I’m glad that she is going, but I’m worried about her. Julie’s parents have been... Well... unbearable since her diagnosis. They don’t want to lose her, and they have been giving Meredith a hard time.”
Beverly snorted, “They don’t want to lose her? I can understand that, but she is the love of Meredith’s life and that little boy thinks the world of her. They aren’t the only ones affected here.”
“I agree, but let’s not point that out to Meredith. We have to be extra sensitive,” Jenna said.
“Don’t worry. I won’t even bring it up. I’m just hoping that she can let it all go and have a little fun with us. When is Krissy getting there?”
“Tomorrow afternoon. What about you?”
“I have to finish this chapter before I leave. I was planning on driving down on Sunday. Is that ok?” Beverly said, hoping not to upset Jenna.
“Sure, that will be great! I can’t wait to see you!”
“Me too. Bye.”
“Bye.”
The two women hung up and Beverly turned back to her computer screen and put the pencil back in her mouth.
No comments:
Post a Comment